Sunday 18 May 2014

The beach







The sand shifts beneath my feet. It's golden grains running through my toes as I walk.

The sun is already high in the sky and I turn my face upwards, embracing it's enticing warmth.

I spread my towel on the sand and sit, taking in the sights and sounds around me.

Children run, screaming and laughing as the icy cold fingers of the sea lap around their bare toes. In and out of the wavelets they run, joyous at the simple pleasure that it brings.

Their parents watch, smiling as their darlings have fun, remembering the days when they where young, and enjoyed the sea too. They talk, hold hands, enjoying and sharing their memories.

The surfers arrive, running eagerly towards the sea, splashing as they paddle out into the deeper water, waiting for the waves like stranded, rubber clad seals.

They hurtle towards land once more, whooping with joy, returning again and again, on an adrenaline fuelled mission to find the biggest, fastest wave.

The savoury smell of pasties wafts across to me. It must be lunch time. Children eat, re-fuelling their bodies, ready for more fun.

I lay, and I drift into a doze. The sounds become muffled, weave their way into my lazy mind. I feel so relaxed, so happy. I wish that I could stay here for ever.

I open my eyes, looking into the deep azure of the sky. Clouds scud across it, taunting the sun, but they are too small to win the fight. They bubble and burn, dissolving into the ether.

I gather my thoughts. It's time to go. Time to go back to reality, to my life and family.

I shake off my towel, and walk towards home, leaving the sea to whisper it's secrets to the sand.

Goodbye beach, I will be back another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment